The Market Research Director is responsible for managing the planning, budgeting, development, implementation, execution and evaluation of market research for both client and Midan Marketing’s proprietary research projects. This individual is responsible for all efforts to make certain that clients’ research needs are met and is the “go to” person on a day-to-day basis for Midan team members with regard to all market research projects. Provide analytical support to client team members as needed, including data analysis and report development to facilitate solution-based work with supermarket retail accounts.
- Determine appropriate research methodology, design surveys, analyze results and prepare final reports
- Act as the primary agency contact for client’s market research needs and be the source of information and market research programming resources for internal teams. Collaborate with account managers in in identifying project needs:
Lead brainstorming sessions on needs and solutions
Define most appropriate research methodology
Identify appropriate subcontractors and/or suppliers
Develop proposals including timelines and budgets
Review proposal with account team and client
Solicit assistance from other team members to provide support and information to satisfy client needs
Present or share results with account team and client
- Evaluate the project at completion and debrief on process. Collaborate with the account planner from design and programming through to report analysis and production.
- Identify, contract with, and manage subcontractor and/or outside agency personnel to retain their services to execute market research projects as needed. Includes sourcing companies, communicating program needs, soliciting bids, managing development of elements and managing the budget
- When data analysis is required in the execution of a market research project, develop or access appropriate data sets, perform analysis and/or provide direction for the data analysis to satisfy research needs
- Manage timelines, budgets and billings and provide regular management reports on all market research efforts for client
- Work with Principals and Midan team members to develop goals for the Midan’s proprietary market research program and develop and manage research projects that effectively deliver against those goals
- Working with Principals, lead the development of the market research program at Midan including establishing goals for new business development, developing presentations to share during prospective client meetings, working with Public Relations Manager to place articles, etc.
- When requested, present research results to current clients, prospective clients, or at industry meetings
- Keep pace with advancements in market research methodologies including reading leading market research publications, attending industry seminars and conferences as necessary
- Work with syndicated data sources (FreshLook Marketing, Symphony IRS, AC Nielsen, Promodata, MarketTrack, Meat Solutions, USDA, etc.) to access relevant data information for intelligence briefing development and industry communications.
- Analysis of all available data to identify account-specific and industry opportunities.
- Develop key data to support efforts with target accounts.
- Create data analysis results for use at meetings, on website, in E-newsletters, through trade public relations, etc.
- Provide recommendations for possible research projects to enhance client opportunities.
- Work with Human Resources in recruiting process of new team members. Provide new hire overview of MRT functions, client business and new business development functions
- Provide oversight and direction to team members in accordance with Midan policies and procedures
- Coach, mentor and develop team members, including onboarding for new team members and providing career development planning and opportunities
- Empower team members to take responsibility for their jobs. Delegate responsibilities and expect accountability and regular feedback
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among team that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness and working effectively together to enable the success of each team member and the team as a whole
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with Midan’s mission, vision, guiding principles and values
- Lead team members using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage contribution and includes goal setting, feedback and performance development planning. Develop MRT team goals annually and monitor team individual goals quarterly
- Maintain team member work schedules including assignments, training, vacation and other paid time off, telecommuting and cover for absenteeism
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate Midan information through team meetings, one-on-one meetings, email, instant messaging and regular interpersonal communication
- Manage overall operational, budgetary and financial responsibilities and activities for the team
- Plan and allocate staffing and financial resources effectively to meet team and Midan goals
- Communicate regularly with other members of management team
Job Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong analytical and modeling skills, including experience working with large datasets
- Extensive survey design and analysis experience
- Ability to analyze and interpret data to provide clear strategic recommendations
Excellent organizational skills
Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel (including Pivot Tables and data calculations) and PowerPoint skills
- Knowledge of research statistics such as significance testing, survey error rates, standard deviation, etc.
- Ability to communicate findings/recommendations succinctly in writing
- Experience with focus group moderation is a bonus
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods including multivariate analysis such as max-diff and conjoint
- Ability to interact directly with clients and drive new business
- Must possess the ability and experience to mentor staff with varying jobs and skill levels
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree in marketing, market research, business management is highly desirable.
- At least five to ten years of mid- to senior-level experience in either a client or supplier side market research position or both
- Ideal candidate will possess food and, more specifically, fresh meat marketing and/or market research experience
- Candidate’s work history must demonstrate the ability to work in a team-based environment; the capacity to work with and lead talented people, achieve outstanding sales and the willingness to travel as necessary (minimal)
- This position is ideal for a creative, high-energy individual who enjoys a fast-paced environment and who enjoys being part of our young and growing company
- The Market Research Director will reside in our Chicago office