The Consumers’ Case platform
The Consumers’ Case platform is an ongoing effort by Midan Marketing to help the meat industry stay tuned in to the ever-changing consumer. Our Market Research Team is analyzing how adjustments in consumer attitudes and behavior are directly affecting the meat case and exploring ways to help retailers and their suppliers capitalize on these shifts. This analysis can be loosely broken down into the three areas listed below:
Trend TrackingIt takes more than a compass to know which direction you’re going. We’ll be looking at consumer and industry trends that have a significant impact on meat merchandising and sales. Our goal is to gather insight into where consumers are headed and determine how the meat industry can be more responsive to their needs.
VIEW BREAKING THE PATTERN
We surveyed consumers to find out what they really think about the hot industry topics swirling around the media: “pink slime,” gestation stalls and antibiotics and growth hormone use in livestock.
The Meat Matters research consists of two deliverables to help tell the full story of what we learned in our extensive 1300+ participant quantitative study:
- Full Report: 50-page report outlines the research findings, highlights key takeaways and provides executive-level “bottom line” summaries for each topic. The conclusion includes an “Implications and Opportunities” section that offers insights into issues management for today’s meat industry.
- Data Deck: 90-page report shows all data points collected.
Five years later, following the longest downturn in the U.S. economy since the Great Depression, we wanted to know if branding still matters in the meat case.
For the Power of Brands research, 600 primary grocery shoppers were interviewed in four geographically-diverse metro markets: Chicago, Denver, Dallas and Philadelphia. A wide array of beef, pork and chicken brands are present in each market.
The comprehensive report includes charts and graphs that outline key findings on grocery shopping and meat purchasing behavior, attitudes toward branded meats, and brand awareness. The report also provides insights not shared during the webinar about consumer preferences and ratings for specific brands
Here are a few takeaways that are explored in-depth in the report:
- Many top-selling, private label brands have extremely low recall among consumers. Is your brand strategy creating the kind of awareness and preference among consumers to sustain your private label program for the long haul?
- Some brands are so strong that they project a halo effect onto protein categories they don’t even offer products in. Find out if your brand equity offers additional opportunities in the meat case.
- Discover how your brands stack up against the competition on a 10-point rating scale.
Breaking the Pattern
Our first trends study took a “big picture” look at four major breaks in consumer attitudinal and behavioral patterns that are driving seven major trends. These trends are not just current fads but large shifts in behavior that are permanently changing the way consumers plan, purchase and consume products. Meat industry leaders must recognize and respond to these trends if they want to keep up with tomorrow’s shoppers.
Learn about the following major breaks:
- Who we are
- Me vs. We
- Expecting more faster
- Taking back control